Some IDE suggestions

1. 5 years ago

Marc

26 Jan 2019 User since 2018
    Edited 5 years ago by Marc

I have a few IDE suggestions:

1) Open appropriate event handler code when double-clicking on a control/view. In the code page a "Back" button that brings you back to the Design screen with the double-clicked control in focus.

2) Expand event tree by default in code screen or remember/restore the last state.

3) On a black/dark theme the events that have code (made bold) are a bit difficult to see. Maybe a different color would help.

4) On a non-retina MacBook some texts look a bit blurry and the icons don't fit. See attached screen example (see f.e. text "TextField1"; and all events in example 2).

2. marco

27 Jan 2019 Administrator User since 2016

Hi @Marc thanks a lot for you suggestions, the code edition definitely needs to be improved. I have some questions for you:

1) What do you mean by "Open appropriate event handler code when double-clicking on a control/view" ? You mean that double clicking on a control/view in Design should open the Code Editor for that object?

2) I agree, we'll introduce restore the last state in the next version.

3) We'll try with the accent color.

4) We already fixed icons issues in our build, unfortunately there is very little we can do about the blurry text because Apple changed the antialiasing algorithm in 10.14 and the result is that the text is less clean on non-retina displays.

3. Marc

27 Jan 2019 User since 2018
    Edited 5 years ago by Marc

@marco 1) What do you mean by "Open appropriate event handler code when double-clicking on a control/view" ? You mean that double clicking on a control/view in Design should open the Code Editor for that object?

It's like Visual Basic (1-6) on Windows and ASP.NET WebForms (in VS) used to work.

If I for example double-click on a Button control in Design it goes to the code editor in the Action event. For a TextBox it would be TextChanged, etc. Every control has some sort of a "most used" event. After I've finished entering the code I would then want to return to the Design focused to the control I double-clicked on, so that I f.e. can do some other work on it or change the control next to it.

For me that is a quick and convenient.

@marco 4) We already fixed icons issues in our build, unfortunately there is very little we can do about the blurry text because Apple changed the antialiasing algorithm in 10.14 and the result is that the text is less clean on non-retina displays.

I understand, but maybe a setting to change the font for those text would work, as the coding font is less fussy in my case.

Also the Private indication for functions is almost impossible to read; see attached example.

I understand that you're bound to what Apple does, but maybe some fixes may work for non-Retina screens.

4. marco

27 Jan 2019 Administrator User since 2016

Thanks @Marc,

1. we'll surely implement this behaviour
    2. we'll do our best in order to increase usability under non-retina display but please note that you can already customise the font used in code editor from within the Creo preferences (see attache screenshot).
  5. Marc

28 Jan 2019 User since 2018

@marco .... but please note that you can already customise the font used in code editor from within the Creo preferences (see attache screenshot).

Yes, I'm aware of that. The coding font isn't the problem. It's more the font used in the event tree and some other "system" fonts that can't be changed.

BTW: I turned off "font smoothing" in macOS settings. That helps a bit; it's makes the fonts a bit less fussy.

6. marco

4 Feb 2019 Administrator User since 2016

@Marc in order to increase text readability I suggest you to try the following settings: https://ahmadawais.com/fix-macos-mojave-font-rendering-issue/

7. Marc

4 Feb 2019 User since 2018

@marco @Marc in order to increase text readability I suggest you to try the following settings: https://ahmadawais.com/fix-macos-mojave-font-rendering-issue/

I tried, and saw the font drawing was different, but not an improvement.

Without this fix I notice that the font start out to be good enough with a fresh start of Creo. But when I change the width of the panel the font gets worse and stays like that. I tried to show this in the animated gif below:

or Sign Up to reply!