Post a Reply

Detect (more) errors on compile

1. 5 years ago

marco

Show in context Administrator User since 2016

Hi @Marc it would be easier to do in a statically typed language but Gravity is dynamically typed so it is a lot harder and not always possible. For example consider this pseudo code:

func test() {
       if (isSunday) return 1;
       else return "Hello World";
    }

func main() {
       var s = test();
       return s.length;
    }

That code cannot be checked at compile time but only at runtime and it will work all the days except on Sunday (because the number type does not have a length property).

The good news is that a Manifest/Incremental typing will be added to Gravity so more static checks will be performed (typing is necessary if we want to export Gravity code to Swift/Kotlin).

2. Marc

Show in context User since 2018

@marco Hi @Marc it would be easier to do in a statically typed language but Gravity is dynamically typed so it is a lot harder and not always possible. For example consider this pseudo code:

func test() {
       if (isSunday) return 1;
       else return "Hello World";
    }

func main() {
       var s = test();
       return s.length;
    }

That code cannot be checked at compile time but only at runtime and it will work all the days except on Sunday (because the number type does not have a length property).

The good news is that a Manifest/Incremental typing will be added to Gravity so more static checks will be performed (typing is necessary if we want to export Gravity code to Swift/Kotlin).

I understand that. But this scenario has occurred to me several times already. I don't mind the problem scenario in your pseudo code. Maybe you could somehow check breaking code after moving controls; eg. via a warning.